Internet Protocol Television, more commonly known as IPTV, addresses the challenges faced when delivering live, full screen television over a data network using the Internet Protocol (IP) standard. Available to view on the desktop and standard television environment, it removes the issues of picture degradation, interference and network channel capacity associated with traditional coax based distribution systems. The labour intensive and technically complex process of channel tuning and reconfiguration on a coax network now takes a matter of minutes with Tripleplay's IPTV solution, TripleTV over an IP network.
For any television distribution system, content is acquired from multiple sources including satellite, terrestrial, cable and off-air. Conventional systems required individual receivers and encoders to support the different signal types that are then combined before being delivered over a coax network. With Tripleplay's IPTV solution this problem is managed by combining multi services interfaces into a signal unit known as the TripleTV head end.
TripleTV provides a high quality, low maintenance solution to cost effective TV services.
David Evans - BizStream
TripleTV provides an integrated platform for simultaneously delivering multiple IPTV channels to the desktop and television environment. A single head end can deliver over 80 TV channels and be combined with multiple receiver types to meet a customer's exact channel line-up.
Interfaces are available for free to air and encrypted signals from a wide range of sources including digital satellite, digital terrestrial, digital cable, component analogue, uncompressed professional digital sources via serial digital interface (SDI), and asynchronous digital interface (ASI) from third party systems all supported through the platform. As with all products from Tripleplay the system is High Definition (HD) ready.
Standard based components are used throughout the design with hardware sourced from HP and IBM to ensure ongoing support and longevity of the platform no matter where the system is deployed.
Management, configuration and monitoring of the head end are carried out via a simple to use web interface with in-built Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) support. Programme information management and remapping is provided to allow the platform to be used with multiple end user applications.
A component based design allows customers to increase capacity in a controlled manner to meet the demands of their end users. Unlike other systems, Tripleplay's unique software architecture allows multiple services to operate on the same platform thereby turning the TripleTV head end unit into an Application Server. Furthermore, TripleTV can also support products such as Tripleplay's video on demand - TripleVOD - and digital signage - TripleSign.
- Software based design allows system features to be added without the need to change hardware
- Enables System capacity to be increased by adding additional head end units
- Runs additional services and applications on same head end unit (e.g. video on demand and digital signage, portal, EPG and NPVR)
- Minimizes integration issues through standard software architecture
Web Based Manaagement
- Eases system configuration through web interface
- Uses SNMP support for integration into centralised network management system
- Monitors the quality of signals being fed into in to the head end
- Monitors output quality and error rates of individual IPTV channels
- Guarantees local engineering support for hardware related issues
- Assures on-going hardware support
Packet ID (PID) Management
- Efficiently manages bandwidth by only broadcasting information required for end device
- 3, 5 and 7 slot head end unit available
- Multiple application system with 3 and 5 slot support
- Support for DVB-S, DVB-T, DVB-C, DVB-CI, Composite Analogue, SDI, ASI, DVB-S2 interfaces
- RAID 1 hard disk redundancy as a standard
- 3 year head end warranty as standard
- Output support for MPEG-2 and MPEG-4
- Standard and High Definition
- Conforms to ISO/IEC 13818 and ISO/IEC 4496 standards
- Supports Ku and C-band digital satellite signals and UHF and VHF digital terrestrial signals
- Support for all common DVB-CI encryption formats including Mediaguard, Irdeto, Viaccess
- Internationalisation and localisation support
- Automatic signal quality analysis
- Bit error rate and signal quality monitoring
- Outputs all subtitling, languages, DVB System Information, DVB Programme Service
- Web based interface
- SNMP Management
- MIB definition
- PID remapping
- Remote system diagnostic, performance and monitoring
- Automatic detection of changes in programme identifiers
- Compatible with all main IP Set Top Boxes manufactures
Digital television is constantly evolving as new protocols, standards and requirements are required from any IPTV platform. Through its unique software based architecture, Tripleplay is continually developing the capabilities of its platform. Support for new standards such as DVB-S2, new interfaces to support MPEG-4 HD encoding from analogue and SDI and multiple protocol types on a single interface will be launched shortly as well as the ability to remotely capture the live TV channel which is being played on an interface for remote analysis. Customers will be able to upgrade to these features and others on their existing installations thereby securing their initial investment in the system.