With the adoption of broadband networks, the use of "On demand" streaming of content to end users has grown exponentially. Traditional video on demand (VOD) systems have been designed to meet the requirements of thousands of communities and end users. This approach has resulted in providing platforms that are inordinately expensive and complex to use for more targeted user environments such as hospitality, education and corporate markets where customers are looking for a multipurpose platform rather than a single business function. When using an enterprise VOD platform in a diverse number of environments, simplifying the administration and management of video content and its associated information is one of the major obstacles to overcome. TripleVOD enables different content formats and their associated data to be managed through a single user interface within the VOD platform.
The system had to provide a cost effective HD solution which would be easy to install and manage on an ongoing basis.
Quentin Bossom - DSG International Plc
When streaming content "On demand" from a single platform, flexibility is required to initially manage a small number of users, scaling to several hundred, using the same infrastructure. Customers need to feel comfortable that they are purchasing a platform that can be expanded to meet the needs of their current and future business safe in the knowledge that they are able to offer additional services as required. Tripleplay's TripleVOD offers this unique solution. It provides a standard based Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP) which manages end user video sessions and requests to ensure that the necessary quality of service levels and video streaming demands on the system are met.
A simple to use web based management system ensures administrators have a real time representation of the activities occurring on the platform. Through the use of Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), support alarms may be raised to ensure awareness of any potential issues with the platform before they occur. Options to track which videos are being viewed on the system and encrypted content are standard features within the platform.
Standard based hardware from HP and IBM ensures reliability, longevity and on-going maintenance and support of the platform no matter where the system is deployed in the world.
TripleVOD provides support for on demand streaming of MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 standard and high definition content. An integrated content management system simplifies the management of information associated within the video content.
A component based design allows customers to increase capacity in a controlled manner to meet the demands of their end users. Unlike other systems, Tripleplay's unique software architecture allows multiple services to operate on the same TripleVOD platform thereby turning the unit into an Application Server which can also support IP television and digital signage if required.
- Software based design allows system features to be added without the need to change hardware
- Includes clustering, load balancing and system licence management allowing capacity to be seamlessly added
- Enables storage capacity to be easily increased through various standard based disk capacity options
- Runs additional services and applications on same head end unit (e.g. video on demand and digital signage)
- Minimizes integration issues through standard software architecture
Support and Management
- Uses SNMP support for integration into centralised network management system
- Eases system configuration and maintenance through web interface
- Guarantees local engineering support for hardware related issues
- Assures on-going hardware support
- Uses a standard RTSP control interface for providing compatibility to all set top boxes
- Streams standards based MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 content
- Includes Hollywood studio approved content encryption option
- Integrates into existing storage solutions such as storage access networks (SAN) and network attached storage (NAS) devices
- 500GB to 2TB single unit VOD head end units available
- Multiple application system with 3 and 5 slot support
- RAID 1 hard disk redundancy as standard for OS
- RAID 5 hard disk redundancy for content
- 3 year hardware warranty as standard
- Output support for MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 programme and transport streams
- Standard and High Definition formats
- Conforms to ISO/IEC 13818 and ISO/IEC 4496 standards
- Capacity to support up to 80 concurrent video streams on demand from single VOD unit
- Internalisation and localisation support
- RTSP control interface
- Trickplay support
- Web based interface
- SNMP Management
- Management Information Base (MIB) definition
- Remote system diagnostic, performance and monitoring
- Compatible with all main IP Set Top Boxes manufacturers
- Supports Cyphalock encryption
Digital content is constantly evolving and support for new streaming codecs such as Windows media, Flash and Real is under development for the TripleVOD platform. To meet the ever increasing demand for streaming content, Tripleplay is constantly increasing the streaming and storage capacity of the TripleVOD head unit.